Ms. M:

Running With Scissors

June 15, 2006

A Skin Crawling Experience

Before I moved to Atlanta, 9 years ago (holy shit it's been that long?) I worked in sales for an insurance company. I cold called a lot and, believe me, it sucked. I also visited customers to collect their semi-annual payments from older versions of policies we sold. I ended up in timbuktu every once in a while. Small towns, lots of homes in the country.

Let me tell you about the scariest house I ever visited.

I don't mean scary as in frightening because it had an ominous or ghostly feel to it, but I mean scary as in I didn't want to step foot into the nasty house.

The following is what I saw:

  1. about 100 hound dogs of which 60% were puppies of various ages. I'm not kidding.
  2. A bunch of chickens used for eggs that the customer obviously sold, along with the sign advertising "puppies for sale."
  3. Dog shit and chicken shit EVERYWHERE

That was just outside the house. There were injured and handicapped dogs running around with the healthy ones and the place stunk to high heaven!

As I gingerly stepped into the customer's kitchen from the back door I noticed that the indoors wreaked as bad as the outdoors. Worse, if that is possible, as it was the peak of summer and about 100 degrees farenheit in the shade. The owner, a 70-something woman, was sitting at her kitchen table in a dirty housedress, wiping chicken shit off eggs she was putting into cartons (lovely).

I was there to renew their insurance policy, but didn't dare sit down! As I stood in this woman's kitchen she started to walk toward me while wiping an egg off, but she stopped and stood with me. Unfortunatatley for her she stopped just in the right place for a fly strip, covered in dead flies, to stick to her forehead. She didn't even seem to notice! UGH!

There was crap (varous stacks of magazines, newspapers, junk, dog crap, chicken crap, old, rancid food, etc.) everywhere. Nothing had been cleaned in what appeared to be years.

I never worked faster in my life to get the fuck out of there.

This was out in the boonies in Southern Illinois (I'm from East Central IL) and I didn't know my way around. But I did notice that about 80% of the names on the mailboxes in this particular area were the same as this customer's.

**"Deliverance" banjos begin to play**

I was shakin' in my high heels every time I had to stop at a house with that name on the mailbox!

I can't tell you how many times, as a sales rep, either cold calling or renewing insurance policies, that I came across old people's homes that they never ever cleaned or threw anything away. It was crazy. I once visited a house with stacks of newspapers on the floor that pretty much were almost as tall as me. They were covered in dust! How is it healthy to live in the squallor these people lived in?

I am not the neatest person in the world and, God knows, I hate to clean and put it off as long as I can. But! I do not allow shit to accumulate on my floor from my dog, stack newspapers head high, keep 100's of dogs and chickens, or have multiple fly strips hanging through my kitchen because flies are flocking to the shit covered eggs on my kitchen table or rancid food cluttering the kitchen.

Just remembering this particular home with the chicken shit covered eggs makes me want to hurl.

I felt like I was in an episode of either the X-Files or the Twilight Zone.

If my home looked like that it would be because I was completely paralyzed and couldn't get out of bed. Even then I would be so horrifically embarrassed at the state of my home I would never invite anyone to step inside it!

Truly, the thought is mortifying!

9 Comments:

At 6/16/2006 8:55 AM , Blogger Ms. M said...

queen, It is sad! But I suppose my priorities are not the same as the next person. Thanks for stoppin in!

Mr. F, I worked in the loan business too and had to go out collecting, still never saw ANYTHING as bad as the places I happened upon in my insurance selling days. I will NEVER forget those experiences.

 
At 6/16/2006 12:59 PM , Blogger KSHIPPYCHIC said...

Hi Ms. M!! I wanted to come by and thank you for the kind words you left for me to get better!! Then ya know I got to reading and LMAO!! It sounds like you might have visited my relatives!! (not really, though some come very close) I hope you won't mind me popping in more!!

 
At 6/16/2006 11:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ew... ew... and ew!

We could swap disgusting house stories. bleh... went into a house once and there were garbage bags overflowing all over the kitchen and molding dishes piled on the countertops... dog shit everywhere... and a toddler and a baby playing on the floor.

Some people are really truly sick.

 
At 6/18/2006 4:42 PM , Blogger Webmiztris said...

oh yuck - I definitely would have been calling the animal cops in on that one...

 
At 6/19/2006 12:49 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

kshippychic, I'm always glad for more visitors to my blog! I can honestly say that I don't know of one of my relatives who lives like that. I come the closest and it's not even comparible. My mess is usually just mail and laundry waiting to be put away.

Lily, Did you do anything after you left? I didn't see children or I might have called Dept of Children and Families.

webmiztris I would have called right then and there, but I didn't own a cell phone back then. Looking back now I cannot believe I didn't have one! I was in Deliverance country. I'm lucky to be alive!

 
At 6/19/2006 5:41 PM , Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

That is totally insane...

The fly strip part is very x files to me, like that episode where the mother reproduces with her sons and she has no arms or legs to speak of.

 
At 6/20/2006 1:18 AM , Blogger Queenmatrai said...

Ok thats just disgusting...a memory you definitely need to erase...

yuck

 
At 6/20/2006 8:12 AM , Blogger Kim said...

Yuck! I had a friend growing up whose father was like that. Sad for her that she had to grow up in a household like that.

Needless to say, I didn't spend the night very often. Blah..I get itchy just thinking about it.

 
At 6/21/2006 1:47 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

alex, Oh you hit the nail on the head. That whole scene reminded me of that episode too! FREAKY!

Noojes, You couldn't be more right.

kimi, I'm itchy too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home