Ms. M:

Running With Scissors

June 22, 2006

Homophobes and Their Veil of Christianity.

I think Gay Pride Week has drudged up some ugly stuff.

There has been a lot of debate about Dani's blog lately and I just want to put my two cents in.

This woman is a Evangelical Christian zealot. Zealot is defined as a fanatically committed person. She is definitely committed to her Christian values and morals. But who isn't committed to their own beliefs?

That being said, I must also state that she seems very calm when commenting back on people who comment on her post and exclaim their belief that she is a friggin' nutcase. While yes, she is a nutcase, we must understand her view of things. It is quite apparent to me that she has been sheltered within the arms of a strong holding church after her bout with lesbianism. In fact, I would imagine that her family gives up 10% or more of their annual earnings to their church. A church that is probably more cult-like in it's "management" of its "flock" than a place of worship where all are welcome to join in fellowship. It's quite obvious that her church would rather condemn a person for sexual preference regardless of his or her belief system or moral fiber which could be as strong as Dani's herself. For those who haven't been following the saga click here to get started on catching up. Several bloggers got involved in this debate over homosexuality being a perversion against God according to Dani.

It was very clear to me after reading all of the comments and new posts by Dani, Mike, and ~Deb that about 99% of the people posting are open minded, tolerant people who accept those who are different than they. Isn't that what the Bible says God preaches anyway? Love and acceptance? Treating others as you would want to be treated? Judge not lest ye be judged? Instead, the "God fearing" Evangelical Christians do the judging. Perhaps they feel, as righteous Christians, that it is their place to judge since Jesus isn't here to do it and who the hell knows when the "rapture" is due to come so they gotta get a jump on making sure that they have a seat in the "saved" wagon.

To this I say,

WHAT.

THE.

FUCK.

EVER.

If these people did any research on the Bible itself they would learn that there are no original manuscripts, supposedly written by Jesus or his desciples or other earlier prophets. The books have been written and rewritten and removed or edited to allow Kings and the Catholic Church to control the ignorant, God fearing masses. Did you read "ignorant?" I hope so. Because if ignorance is bliss then the Evangelical Christian zealot's must be fantastically ecstatic. They feel "saved" because they believe and accept Jesus Christ as their "personal" savior.

I'm sorry, I guess I just don't know if I believe in this organized religious hooey. I believe in a higher power. I believe in being a giving and good person. I don't know if I believe in heaven more than I believe in other planes of existence. I just don't know. Call it an existential crisis, but I seriously feel that being "faithful" and believing in an entity that cannot be verified and validated as actually existing is, maybe, a sign of looniness. Would anyone concur?

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but I grew up Catholic and believe(d) in God and all the teachings of the bible, however I was taught to interpet the bible in my own way, that it was NEVER to be taken literally. I mean, come on! If Jesus proclaimed his existence on earth today we would put him in a straight jacket and send him to the looney bin. Because the idea of a man on earth claiming to be Jesus sounds like he's crazy, right? RIGHT. Jesus supposedly turned water into wine and walked on water, as well as spent 40 days in the desert without food or water. Moses brought down the 10 plagues of Egypt on Rameses and his kingdom. Was anyone there to verify what really happened and if they wrote it down, where are the original manuscripts that may have chronicaled such events? Forgive me if I seem callous, but I just have a hard time believing in what sounds overly fantastic. I may be the only agnostic in my family. I have a scientific brain and I believe that if you can see it and you can touch it then it's real.

I may get shunned from my family for believing this way, but I'm sorry. I believe in evolution because scientific research has delivered proof of it. If you would rather believe that God created Adam and Eve from Adam's rib then go right ahead. Knowing what I do about biology and human physiology (former pre-med student here) I know it is not possible and could never have happened. I just can't put faith in a "theory" like that. That fact that people do scares the shit out of me. Do people seriously believe that God talkes to W like he claims? In my opinion the man is the anti-Christ if there is supposed to be one.

If God exists would he allow all the horrors of the world? Would he allow the rape and murder of little children? The truest innocents of the world? Would he allow the mass genocide of races or the horror of AIDS and the Ebola virus?

I guess, because of all the misery in the world, I just reserve my belief for proof. Proof that God A) exists, and B) that he is the benevolent God that "the Bible" would have us believe.

I just don't know. Call me confused, but call me sane and a realist. I just don't get this insane zealotry. I have several Evangelical zealot's in my family and I have written them off as folks I don't want to spend time around. I don't appreciate someone shoving their ideals and beliefs down my throat. I don't do it to them so I won't have them do it to me and they know it. I'm sure, in their minds, this heathen is going to hell in a handbasket and taking my son with me.

Yah, we're heathens I guess. And I just judged those Evangelical Christian zealot's as fanatic freaks so I'm just as guilty of judging.

So fucking be it. At least I am smart enough to realize that we are all human and utilize free will to be who we are and I don't believe that anyone should judge anyone else. We should ALL be allowed to live our lives without the fear of judgemental retribution from bible beaters because we aren't exactly like they are or believe in exactly the same way.

People have freely expressed their opinion on this issue of homosexuality as a perversion. I do not feel that it is. I, as an educated, former Catholic, believe that we as humans should be allowed to love whomever we want and MARRY whomever we want. That, if there is a God, he put us on earth to live and love and respect one another. I think most people do just that, however it would seem that the religious bible thumpers just can't seem to, believing that they are living the doctrine of God's will as it is written in the Bible. That the Bible condemns homosexuality and so should they. Again, the Bible is a book of moral fables. Those who believe these stories as literal truths need to have their heads examined.

Okay, maybe that was more than two cents, but I feel better now. Resume your lives people!

This debate will never end.

9 Comments:

At 6/22/2006 4:31 PM , Blogger Beth said...

You have some really great points and just so you know not all evangelical churches are like that - mine actually accepts homosexuals without judgement - we let them have a relationship with god and figure out their own convictions because hey - who are we to say what's a sin right?! We have to just take care of our own lives lol - Way to make people stop and actually think for a change! Keep it up!

 
At 6/22/2006 9:48 PM , Blogger Jerrster said...

that woman has diarrhea of the mouth...she took way too long to say she is a narrow-minded christian bible thumper...is this so hard for people...homosexuality is real...it's just as real as heterosexuality...uh wake up christians...get your head out of the sand....jerks! Remember Jesus had the hots for a whore....oh yeah prostitution also something that's not going away. Deal with it folks.

 
At 6/23/2006 8:05 AM , Blogger J R Estelle said...

Here's the funny part. There are 6, yes 6 references that I am aware of to homosexuality being a sin and oh about 300+ reference to heterosexuality and that "lifestyle" being sinful.

I agree that the Bible is, by all accounts a work of fiction, but many people have to have faith in something, some choose the Bible, some choose other means.

Check out this link:

http://worldpolicy.org/globalrights/sexorient/bible-gay.html

I found it to be an interpretation of a a work of fiction (Bible) and we all know that interpretations are opinions.

For the record, I just started reading your blog, I'm also a lesbian.

 
At 6/23/2006 8:54 AM , Blogger Ms. M said...

beth, I'm glad to know that there are some great REAL Christians out there who understand it's not our place to judge. Thanks so much for commenting!

Mr. F, BAAAAAAAAAAAA

j r, Thanks for the reading material. I always enjoy meeting people who share my views on such things as this. I am not a lesbian, but I certainly don't condemn it. Who knows? Maybe some day I'll switch teams! :P

 
At 6/23/2006 10:24 AM , Blogger Webmiztris said...

I keep hearing about that woman's blog but I refuse to read it. Reading her 'about me' section was all I needed to form an opinion about what a loon she is.

I'm agnostic too, so I'm totally on the same boat as you. I just cannot believe in all of this 'magical' stuff Jesus supposedly did. It all sounds like a load of shit to me - designed to scare people into being what the Catholic church considers 'good'. Pffft.

 
At 6/27/2006 2:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

While we'd disagree on matters, it's good that you're willing to clarify your understanding without perjoratives.

True, we don't have original documents, but we do have early documents, many from the 2nd century. And that's a short copying window. In addition, any quotations from church fathers to help with maintaining accuracy.

It is sad that many are condescending and judgmental. The message of the gospel is to be redemptive. Grace is what it's all about.

Enjoy.

http://evangelicalperspective.blogspot.com

 
At 11/14/2010 10:17 PM , Blogger Scott Evans said...

Ms. M: "We should ALL be allowed to live our lives without the fear of judgmental retribution from bible beaters because we aren't exactly like they are or believe in exactly the same way."

Make sure to make your views known to the next child molester you run into. I hope a loved one of yours doesn't end up being one of their victims. But then again, what difference would it make? You wouldn't judge them anyway.

 
At 11/14/2010 10:26 PM , Blogger Scott Evans said...

Ms. M: "I, as an educated, former Catholic, believe that we as humans should be allowed to love whomever we want and MARRY whomever we want."

I just asked my dog to marry me.

 
At 2/09/2012 10:15 AM , Blogger Dani Kekoa said...

Greetings Ms. M ~ It's been a long time since you wrote this post, but I thought you'd like to know that I've always remembered it and wanted to give you an update from a "nutcase" as over five years have passed and I'm finally Setting the Record Straight ~ An Open Apology to “Lesbian” Deb & Public Repentance for Following Bob Enyart

*Check it out if you want => http://worstgenerationseed.blogspot.com/2012/02/setting-record-straight-open-apology-to.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home