Ms. M:

Running With Scissors

April 22, 2006

My Great Home Buying Debate....


I'm house hunting.

Does anyone have any advice for a first time home buyer? I don't know if I'm going to buy ASAP or give it a few months. I am planning to live with D for a bit. Save some money, pay off some bills; in other words, get ahead. I don't mean give him head, okay I do mean that too, but I mean get ahead of the game! Minds out of the gutter people! Okay, I'll have to pull mine out too.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I really want. I am not planning on having more kids; J is almost 16 as it is! Also, D and I are not planning on getting married, just probably living together in blissful sin. You know non-married sex is always HAWTER than married sex because you know you're breaking a cardinal sin...not a mortal one for all you Catholics. I assume that the Catholic Church has emerged far enough out of the dark ages that they aren't stoning women anymore for having pre-marital sexual relations. I was raised Catholic and that never stopped me! I liked my sex dammit, from the very first time I had sex until this very moment. In fact, D nailed me good last night so I'm feeling euphoric!

Going back to what I want (mind outta the gutter, mind outta the gutter) I was thinking I might buy a town home or condo simply because I just don't see a reason to try to make the time to mow my lawn and do maintenance on the outside of my home if I don't have to. If I do buy, I hate moving so I would stay put for a quite a while. I just have no need for more room than a town home or condo would offer. J will be leaving the nest soon enough and I don't want to have to clean a bunch of empty rooms. What's the point? D, of course, thinks I should buy a house, however yesterday we drove by some lake condos that come with boat slips so he got all excited. I have an appointment to look at one tomorrow so I'm kind of excited myself! These condos are surrounded by tall trees so they are in the shade most of the time which means the heat wouldn't be so bad during the summer. I like that! It's hotter than the hinges of Hades in this state! The humidity is stifling! It's like walking into a wall of water when you leave the sanctity of your air conditioned home! Not pretty for people like me who straighten their curly/wavy mop of crappy hair. These lake condos also have lofts and fireplaces. They're two-story A-framish looking. Very funky. Kind of old, but I've seen pictures of the inside of them and they are sweet! Reasonably priced for a lakeside condo too! They're right on the lake! Most lake property sells for anywhere from $300K to over $1M. These condos are considerably less. Just under $200K.

If I don't like the condos by Lake Lanier I'm going to look in Alpharetta, which is West of where I live now, and just south of D. Some of the town home/condos I'm planning to look at are on the West side of GA400 (a NIGHTMARE of traffic on that road during rush hour) and my new company is just off 75N, North of the perimeter so I wouldn't have to take any highways to get to work and I'd be going against the flow of traffic. To that I say... Fuckin' A!!!

Wow, I rhymed!

D really wants me to look seriously at the condos by the lake because of the boat slips. He is planning on buying a speed boat. My thoughts are this. If I buy one of these condos and he wants to park his boat in my slip he better be movin' in with me. Strange...that sentence has a lot of innuendo in it and I didn't even mean it like that. I guess once you have a horribly dirty mind, like mine, you just sort of naturally speak in innuendo. Kinda cool, don'tcha think? Anyway, I could buy the condo without the slip, but he really wants a boat slip and if I buy it with the slip it raises the monthly payment by $200 if I lease with an option to buy. He says that's cheap. I say, shit or get off the pot in regards to the outcome of the condo/boat slip purchase and his desire for this slip...move in or move on. If I just buy it outright I don't know if it raises the price of the condo. Good question to ask I suppose.

Now, I'm not saying D has to marry me to use the boat slip. I could care less if I ever get married again after being married divorced twice before the age of 35. I just don't know if I want to legally bind myself to someone whom I may not make it into old age with. Then I'd have to go through all that legal shit again and I just loathe that process. D is in the same boat and feels the same as me. So we have talked about it and plan to move in together, eventually, so whatever I purchase, he will eventually be living in. That's why he would rather I buy a house, but because of the slip access he's kinda jonesin' for one of these condos. Got any money to contribute honey, especially if you're NOT living with me if I move into those lake condos?

Just to clarify, D is not in the market to buy a house at the moment. Long story, but he has to wait until his ex-wife refinances a second mortgage that currently has his name on it. She's having some legal issues getting his name off of the loan (long story). Once that is done he can buy too, but I think he's thinking we could get a place together rather than each purchase separate homes. In fact we've talked about buying together, but with this ex-wife/second mortgage situation still in limbo he's caught between a rock and a hard place.

Well, time will tell. Ultimately, it's my decision. I'm not basing it on what he wants. I learned a long time ago not to base my decisions on the possibility of anything, especially when it involves a man.

Can I hear an "AMEN" my sisters???

So, what's on your weekend agendas?

6 Comments:

At 4/23/2006 9:43 PM , Blogger wilde_thought said...

I agree, make your purchase decision as if your beau were not in the picture. It's not like he's giving you the money to make the purchase is he? If something happens and you split, you'll be pissed every time you write that mortgage check for $200 bucks more than you have to each month. But then again, you'd be right there on the water able to attract the passing men in their watercraft while you sit dockside, sunbathing and sipping blender drinks.

Here's my advice from two home purchases and more than a thousand miles of moving. 1)Get pre-approved for your mortgage. 2) Don't become house poor. Buy something less than the banks are willing to loan you money for. 3) Don't move everything. Sell. Give. Donate. And trash as much as you can. You're crap isn't as valuable as you think it is and it's not worth spending money and time in moving it. Start doing the "unloading" of your stuff now while you're thinking of moving. You'll thank yourself much later when you aren't opening that damnable box of 40 "gimme" coffee mugs some months after the move.

 
At 4/23/2006 10:04 PM , Blogger CP said...

I'll give you your amen and raise you a hallelujah!

Incidentally, living in sin sex IS NOT HAWTER than marital sex. At least, not in this house. So there. Nyah.

CP.

 
At 4/24/2006 12:27 PM , Blogger Webmiztris said...

amen, sista! the condos look fabulous! you should do it!

 
At 4/24/2006 7:19 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

Merna--I have returned. Hee hee.

Congrats on the new job--let me know more of the specifics when you can!

 
At 4/25/2006 2:33 AM , Blogger Ms. M said...

NG, I'm in the process of getting pre-approved. I think I know just what you're talking about.

10%, We're taking it day by day, but have always known we'd live together. He gets plenty of alone time. I like mine too!

sage, I was kind of into the idea of a condo (less maintenance & all), until I came across this great house within my price range just a stones throw from the lake. I'm putting my hat in the ring on it, I think.

Mr. F, I would totally live inside the perimeter if I didn't have a child. I would be a swingin' single, not to be confused with a 'swinger.'

Wilde, all very good advice. I am in total agreement!

CP, I had hawt married sex with my last husband, but sadly, that is ALL we had and it didn't last. Didn't have such hawt sex with the first husband. The second was a hotband, but, thankfully, he's outta the picture! Unmarried, sinful sex with D is quite fulfilling and leads me to believe that I don't need to be married to enjoy the benefits!

webmiztris, No condos I'm afraid. I found a house I really like within my price range and I'm thinking of bidding on it. I DID find a kick ass condo with 3 BR's and 3.5 BA, great set up/floor plan. A tad outta the price range of a single mom. We'll see.

kb, Lawd Have Mercy! She lives and breathes! I'm SO glad your back! I hates it when yous gone sistah!

 
At 5/08/2006 8:01 AM , Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Here's to hot, stanky sex. There's just not enough of it in the world.

That condo sounds pretty sweet... and no yard maintenance is even better.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home