Ms. M:

Running With Scissors

April 08, 2006

Die, You Gravy Sucking Pigs!

I hate the leasing company who runs my apartment complex. They are sneaky, money grubbing, gouging bastards. And believe me when I say that, it is said with calm that is not felt.

I have already been pissed several times over the last couple of days when I think about my current issue with them.

I have turned in my intent to vacate letter for the end of the month of May. My lease is actually up May 22nd. Today is April 8th. I am late on my rent because I had a fine to pay. I notified them of this situation. No biggee. They put a note in the door letting me know the late fee and the date when more fees would be added if I didn't get it paid by then.

My rent is only $850 for a two-bedroom 3 bath apartment. It's a killer apartment. I love it. But, I hate this leasing company so much I decided to get out! Here's the real kicker though. The note they put in my door says my base rent for this month is $940. What I don't get is this: If my lease is not up and my lease states my rent is $850, how can they now be charging me a base rent of $940 plus a late fee? Also, they say that my rent will now be $1039 per month. Does that seem legal to you? It sure stinks to me.

In fact, I called up the business manager, AMANDA *cutesy snide inflection*. She, of course, had just stepped out of the office. I spoke to a nice Hispanic lady on the phone, she asked if I wanted to leave a message. You bet your ass I did!

I told her to tell Amanda to call me back ASAP and to also understand that my lease states my base rent is $850 and that is what I will be paying, plus the late fee which I know I will owe. I will not be paying $940 or more as base rent. That she MUST have made a mistake as these amounts were NEVER mentioned in my lease or otherwise.

I have heard nothing from her and I received this note yesterday afternoon. What a bitch. Does she think that I'm going to let this drop? HELL NO. I guarantee you that if I put the $850, plus late fee in the rent payment drop I will get it back in my door with a note saying it's not the full payment.

I refuse to pay what they are asking. It's extortion. Would you pay it? Does anyone know if this is legal?? My lease says nothing about raising the rent if I don't sign a new lease. I turned in my notice to vacate in on April 1. That gives me 60 days (till May 31), as required by my lease, to move. Come ON!! My lease doesn't say that if I don't renew my lease that they can bump me up BEFORE my lease is actually up!

I'm am seeing red. So sorry if I am just spewing acid and anger. Just pissed like a drunk Irishman.

Advise?

11 Comments:

At 4/08/2006 7:19 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

M those rat bastards are sticking it to you!

Actually, maybe they accidentally added the late fees making it $940, and then added the late fees again. It's hard to say, but if your lease doesn't state that they can up your monthly rent at any time--they can't. It would be a small claims issue if they took it to court.

 
At 4/08/2006 11:28 PM , Blogger Jerrster said...

don't pay it.

then go out a buy $50 worth of fresh fish
then remove every heater duct in the apt and toss a fish in each one.

if you have time....puree a few fish in a food processor...making a nice fish paste.....remove the electrical plates on several plug-ins you can fill them with the fish paste....after about 1 week the apt will be unrentable....if they discover the fish spackled plug-ins they will think they found the trouble....then someone will need to use the heater one day...and wow will that stink up the place.

might be fun to write "fuck you" on the back of all the plug-in covers

the only other kind of rat-fucking stuff I've heard about that is effective is using eggs....they are cheaper

but they don't really last as long as fish.

I don't believe in hell...so I'm cool about this full on.

 
At 4/09/2006 6:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

KB I don't think it was an error, I think they're trying to fuck me because I'm not renewing my lease. Bastards.

NG you rock sister! Thx!

Jer always creative!

 
At 4/09/2006 9:07 PM , Blogger Webmiztris said...

I don't rent, so I know nothing about this, but it sure sounds like BS to me!

 
At 4/10/2006 2:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know US laws, but nongirlfriend up there had some awesome advice. I'll add one more, document everything. Everything!
Morons.

 
At 4/10/2006 7:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The laws are different here but check your contract, there may be a clause in it that allows them to do that, but that in itself may be worth checking against your state laws. If that happened here I wouldn't pay, in fact I would cease to pay until the matter was corrected. But I'm a stubborn cow. Good luck.

 
At 4/10/2006 7:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to bomb you, but I wouldn't recommend you to cease to pay... It looks better if you continue to attempt to pay the agreed amount.

 
At 4/11/2006 5:42 AM , Blogger Ms. M said...

Geez, you all have some good comments on this issue. I hate it when companies try to fuck you. Perhaps I should yell at them "Pinch my nipples, pinch my nipples" and explain that I like to have my nipples pinched when I'm getting screwed.

 
At 4/12/2006 4:34 PM , Blogger Billy said...

Loved your comment about pinching your nipples.

There may be a clause that calls for an increase if you're late, study the agreement. Most credit cards do that these days, if you're late they raise your rates; some even do it if you're late paying somebody else, sneaky bastards...

Also, as j. said, document everything, everything. Life lesson here, CYA (Cover Your Ass) - leave a paper trail. The construction business is called contracting and in my years I have learned how to read a contract, people will sneak in some outrageous shit when your not looking. Get out your lease and review it carefully, especially for a vandalism clause if you're going with Jerry's idea (which was excellent by the way).

If you need some help, email me. Least I can do since you helped me with the phone thing. Oh, you need to look at my ode to Cingular too, perhaps you can use it as a sales tool.

 
At 4/13/2006 10:51 AM , Blogger Maven said...

Contact your state's attorney general's office. They handle this type of thing. Seriously.

Check out this page of resources for your state's attorney general:

http://www.state.ga.us/ago/consumer_resources.html

 
At 4/13/2006 9:48 PM , Blogger June Cleaver's Revenge said...

I've owned and rented properties in three states (none of them yours, so I don't know your laws) but I have NEVER heard of a landlord being able to raise the rent before the lease is even up.

I hope you raise hell with them till they back down!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home