Ms. M:

Running With Scissors

April 05, 2006

What Dat? Is Dat Delta Burke??


Has anyone ever told you that you look like someone else? Someone famous? Someone not so famous? Someone you would rather not be compared to? Someone you are more than happy to be compared with?

Ever since I was 18 years old I have been told I look like Delta Burke. Our coloring is different, but the similiarities are still there. I don't see it right off the bat. Then I'll see a picture of her and swear it's me with darker hair and fairer skin. It's freaky.

I remember when the comparison first started. I was working as a waitress while I was in college and this busboy (a goofy art student) started calling me Loretta, then Priscilla, then finally settled on Delta (what's up with these funky names these women have?). I knew who the first two were, but had no idea who Delta Burke was. Little did I know that she would be someone who was to go on to bigger fame, bigger butt, then smaller butt, and somewhere in the middle she married Gerald McRainey.

Her showtime show "First and Ten" was the first comparison. She was the owner of a football franchise or something like that and supposedly beautiful. I never saw it so I had no idea who people were comparing me to. I just liked that part that they said, "she's beautiful" when they compared her looks to mine. I was like "cool!" I can totally handle the comparison.

It went on like that for a few years. She started 'Designing Women' and I thought she was great on that show. I still didn't really see the comparison that much. Certain smiles, certain looks I could see, just not all the time.

I remember one time I was working in this factory after my son came along, trying to stay in school and keep formula in the bottle. I was walking in as the 3rd shift was walking out and some smart ass chick made a snide comment..."Well it's Delta Burke!" She didn't say it like it was a good thing. I don't know why, I had no idea who this chick was. I just assumed that she was tired from her 3rd shift, ready to go home, a total bitch, and jealous that she was ugly. *L*

That was the first time anyone had said anything derogatory about my resemblance to Delta Burke. I wondered, "Is this a bad thing? Do I want to discourage people from this comparison?" That really was the only time anyone said anything negative. For the most part, people have really responded well.

It's very strange. EVERYone in my immediate family has been remarked upon, how they resemble someone famous. My little sister looks like Debra Messing. Skinny, red hair (not her natural color BTW). But she looks a lot like her at certain angles. I think my sister is much prettier though. My older sister has been compared to Brook Shields and Kirstie Alley. I see the comparison to both in her, but only occassionally. My dad has always been likened to Tom Selleck during his Magnum PI days. My friends swooned over him. Uh..gross girls! He's my DAD. My mother used to get compared to Elizabeth Taylor during the 60's and 70's, her heyday. When I was a little girl people used to tell my mother that I looked a lot like Elizabeth Taylor as a child. I had no idea what she looked like back then. I don't think I did, but what the hell?

So, it's weird. We apparently don't look like our own selves. Not sure how I feel about that. I would kind of like a bit of individuality myself. I'm a fatty so I suppose I have finally become my own person (or two).

My son definitely looks like me, but he looks like himself, no one else. I'm so grateful for that. When he was growing up I thought he would grow up to look like Kirk Cameron without the curly hair. Nope, he looks like me. Does that mean he looks like Delta Burke? HELL NO. He's just a freckled face kid who has my eyes and mouth.

I look like my dad with my grandpa's nose and my mother's green eyes and dark complexion. I got the best of both of them, that's for sure. I did get the shitty genes though. I am the shortest in my family, I'm only 5'4" and my oldest sister is 5'11.5". My younger sister is 5'8" and my mother is 5'6". Pop tops us all at 6'1". My older sister married a man who is 6'4". She had to have someone that made her feel short since she towered over everyone and got made fun of for being so damn tall for a girl. Go figure.

I also got the fat genes and the health issues from my mother. It sucks, but I'm learning to deal with it. Strangely Delta Burke and I have another thing in common regarding our health. She's a diabetic and I've been borderline (according to my doctor) for almost 5 years. Maybe we're distantly related???

Well, that's all I have to say tonight. Except, who have you been told you resemble? Gimme the dirt!

22 Comments:

At 4/05/2006 7:59 AM , Blogger Ms. M said...

Oh Scottie!!! You just WISH you'll see the Thrashers lose!! They beat the Canes in a "thrashing" *L* 5 to 2. Sad isn't it? Hells NO! Go Thrashers! They spanked ASS!

As far as borderline diabetic goes. My doc says I'm PRE diabetic, not yet considered one because my A1C is not at 7 yet. I had it dropped to under six, then it went up again over six. I have an addiction to powered sugar donuts. But I'm in a 12-step program. All should be well soon.

 
At 4/05/2006 9:24 AM , Blogger MG said...

hmmm....interesting.

 
At 4/05/2006 12:48 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

mg which part? The resemblance or the convo with Scottie???

 
At 4/06/2006 12:24 AM , Blogger Jerrster said...

uh....when I was younger maybe 23 I was told I looked like Desi Arnez Jr. I didn't care much for that...no real reason just didn't seem cool at the time...as I got older I was told it was Jack Nicholson that I resembled...now we're talking...till they got more specific and said the FAT Jack Nicholson...took some of the polish off that comparison...now I get...is that your hair or is that a Badger on your head?

funny what a few gray hairs can do for you.

 
At 4/06/2006 12:48 AM , Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Have you seen Sordid Lives starring Delta Burke? You have GOT to see this film - it's a classic.

jerry's comment is funny - I always pictured him looking like Eddie Haskell!

 
At 4/06/2006 10:07 AM , Blogger Speckledpup said...

when I was a teen I was told all the time that I looked just like brooke shields. I didn't see it.
Now that we're adults...I see it.
crazy.

However, I think she looks just like me...and I'm just fabulous.
ha!

 
At 4/06/2006 12:13 PM , Blogger CP said...

I get Bette Midler all the time, even though we do NOT look alike. I think it is more our builds and the personalities. But, beyond that? Not a thing in common. I get told I have a "familiar" face. So I say, "Bette Midler"? and invariably, they will say...YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!! THATS IT!!! BETTE MIDLER!!!

I don't see it. But I'm always flattered by it.

CP.

 
At 4/06/2006 12:47 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

Jerry, I think you're better looking than Jack Nicholson. Something about him bothers me so I'm not making the comparison!

Phlegm, Haven't seen sordid lives, guess I need to! I can SO see Jerry as the Eddie Haskill type!!

Mr. F, Some bald men, especially Bruno, are quite hawt! Did you win sexiest male blogger yet???

NG, I know exactly who Sandra Dee is. She was also Tammy in the Tammy movies after Debbie Reynolds. She was very pretty, but soooo skinny! Thanks for the compliment! My mother would agree with you.

Speckled Pup, I think Brooke Shields is gorgeous so I bet you're even bettah, sistah!

CP, Bette Midler is awesome, you should definitely take it as a compliment. She's great in so many ways. She's always playing great characters.

 
At 4/06/2006 3:31 PM , Blogger Fig said...

Ms. M you are so delicious!

I'm always hungry when I leave here... anyway... I get told I look like Andi Macdowell or Sheryl Crow or Mimi Rogers...

got a free taxi ride in Atlanta once because I look like Sheryl.. hee!

 
At 4/06/2006 4:06 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

Lily, you're too much! I like to think I'm delicious. At least the BF says so...Hah!

So should be just call you Sheryl and will you sing us a song??

 
At 4/06/2006 9:35 PM , Blogger Fig said...

...we were drinkin beer at noon on tuesday ...

my little brother's friends all call me Sheryl... morons

 
At 4/07/2006 10:38 AM , Blogger Ms. M said...

Lily, Do your lil' bro's friends try to get in your pants?

NG, Very cool! I wonder where she got that journal. I'd love to get one!

 
At 4/07/2006 12:52 PM , Blogger CP said...

Okay, I can TOTALLY see the Lily/Sheryl Crow thing...'cept Lily is prettier.

CP.

 
At 4/07/2006 8:14 PM , Blogger Fig said...

Ms. M... they used to try... but I'm 8 years older than they are... so now I'm just too old. I believe I'm what they call an old cougar... sweet little fuckers aren't they?

CP... have I told you lately that I love you?

 
At 4/07/2006 8:48 PM , Blogger zydeco fish said...

I see the similarities. People say I look like Ethan Hawke, but I am not convinced. Hey, my word verification is "upfit." Weird.

 
At 4/07/2006 11:44 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

I get Natalie Maines (Dixie Chicks) a lot.

I've also been told Kelly Ripa--a lot. I used to work with a girl who refused to call me Kelly (my name and Ripa's) because she just HAD to call me Hailey--Ripa's character on All My Children.

I've also heard Melanie Griffith, Charlize Theron blah, blah, blah.

I look nothing like those hotties. I think I USED to look a little like Ripa, even though while in the ER with my mom the other day--the male nurse said--"oh my god! You look like Kelly Ripa!" Riiiight buddy. I also KNOW that I look like Natalie Maines, but that ain't a good thing in my book.

Blech.

 
At 4/08/2006 1:36 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

CP, Lily is HAWT!

Lily, Old cougar?? WTF??

Zydeco, Pictures, I need pictures!!!

KB, You have a more in control mouth than NM and as for KR, I still don't see it. Remember when Mr. Davies said you looked like Cameron Diaz after he saw "The Mask"? Her nose is just wrong on her face, her mouth is HUGE, you do NOT look like her. I can't decide who you look like. That's a tuffy! D gets William H Macy...He SOOO looks like him.

 
At 4/09/2006 1:17 PM , Blogger Queenmatrai said...

Ohmigosh

noojes

 
At 4/09/2006 9:10 PM , Blogger Webmiztris said...

oh, I do see the resemblence! except you have better teeth!

I don't get told that I look like anyone really....weird.

 
At 4/10/2006 11:19 AM , Blogger Wade said...

you are so stinkin cute!

 
At 4/16/2006 10:39 PM , Blogger R3dcurlz said...

Have you tried MyHeritage's match thing? I wonder if they would chose her, too.

Here's a link. It's fun.

 
At 4/19/2006 8:05 AM , Blogger June Cleaver's Revenge said...

You really do look like Delta Burke! Which is a very good thing - she is a beauty.

People tell me I look like my mother, but I've never been told I look like anyone famous. Gotta settle for mom I guess.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home