Ms. M:

Running With Scissors

April 15, 2006

Doh! I'm an IDIOT!!!!


I have been one busy fucking bitch.

I have worked my fingers to the bone this week, going above and beyond to please my customer, trying to meet our contract signing deadline.

Sleep?

What's that?

I think I remember it...

Anyway; I made a stoooopid boo-boo this week.

Actually, it was yesterday, when I was supposed to have Good Friday off.
I composed an email in answer to some questions my customer (who has been runnin' my fat ass ragged these last two weeks) had regarding my company's reporting capability as to what we can provide versus what his company requires (commands, demands, no excuses bitch!) we provide them (translation: I provide them!).

Where my mistake occurred is that I composed my response to his email in 'reply to all.' But, then I decided to remove the customers' contacts so it only went to mine with a preface note saying "please read this. I'm burned out on this customer and I'm afraid my tone may be too harsh. Please tell me what changes should be made to make this email more professional/kind." But, the mistake came in that there was someone from my customer's company left in the 'CC' field.
HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT!

ON A SHINGLE!!!!!!!

WHAT HAVE I DONE????
Okay...

Breathe....

Whew! That's better.

I tried recalling the email the moment I sent it.

It didn't fucking work. Everyone I sent it to (including Mr. Customer) read the fucking thing.

I immediately placed a call to this 'CC'd' cat I mistakenly left on my email to explain that he wasn't meant to see it. The convo went sumthin' like this:

Me: Hi Guy (pseudonym). It's M from MyCo.

Guy: *chuckles* Hi M. How are you?

Me: Well, obviously, a little frazzled, I'm sure you know why.

Guy: yah, I just read your email.

Me: I'm SO sorry for the mistake. I'm a tad punchy after getting about 4 hours of sleep this week working on all the requested reports need before our contract deadline and, needless to say, I'm fried and worried that I'm wording my emails in a negative tone. I was requesting some assistance from my teammates to help me write it in a more positive light. I hope you don't think badly of me. I forgot to remove you from the CC. I was hoping to send a clean response that answered your boss's request without sounding bitchy or negative.

Guy: I know, he's a tough one. He makes demands on short notice. I know you've worked above and beyond on this one. Your email goes no further. I promise. I understand where you're coming from.

Me: I apologize. I've just been so focused on what I had to do, that I'm afraid I've burned myself out a bit.

Then I asked him some more questions regarding his boss's expectations and what may happen if I fall short? I really don't want this man to think I'm not competent because, so far, I've managed to do everything and then some on what they've requested.

This customer point of contact that I deal with (Guy's boss or ‘GB’) puts unreasonable time constraints on his requests. For example:

EMAIL:
4:55 PM (inevitably a Friday)
M,

I need a report on _______, _______, _______, and _______, including details on ______ and ______from ______ 2005 thru______ 2006 and I need it by COB (close of business) today! Please provide ASAP!

GB
HisCo

I get these types of emails DAILY. He expects me to read his email the moment I receive it and produce answers or reports within a few minutes. He also copies about 5 people, plus managers, so that he guarantees that I'm going to get him what he wants when he wants it.
Fucker.

I'm not kidding. I'm being completely LITERAL about his requests and the example above.
This man has NO idea what his request may require on my end to produce and complete at the level he wants to see.

WTF?????
I would be so much more amenable to his request if he simply asked me to provide him reports followed by a "Is it possible to get this report today?" or "when do you think you may be able to obtain these reports? Would it be possible to get them by COB today or some time tomorrow?"

Anyway, Guy gave me some advice on how to handle him. Basically, be a straight shooter.

I have been a straight shooter with this man (GB) thus far. However, I have learned not to promise anything by any specific date simply because I need to give myself ample time to produce a quality product for this man. He expects SO much detail that there are times when I am unable to get such information for him. Some of the detail that he requests is just not available. Not just to me, but it may not be something that other reporting teams can actually pull. His answer to my "That information is not available" reply is generally (GB is an older black gentleman who speaks in a deeply Southern voice) "You mean to tell me that you can't provide this information to me that I have been able to get from your competitor?" Seriously, he thinks that by throwing competitor threats at me with a question like that will cause me to bend over backwards to make it happen.

Well guess what? My own ego and reputation will not let me fail. This has become a serious character flaw!!!

I am STOOOPID because I end up making his shitty requests happen one way or another (Ego, remember?). Generally at the expense of my sanity and my normal sleep habits.

Oh, and at the expense of my son's needs as well. He's being somewhat deprived of my attention. Well, not really somewhat. He IS being deprived. I feel like I'm constantly telling him, "Not now, I'm working" for just about every request or question he asks me.

I have become GB's "beck and call" girl. I have set the worst possible precedent and expectation for him. That I will hand him the lube with a bowed head before he screws me in the ass.

OH HELL NO!

So, it's time for a change....

"What changes?" you ask???

Stay tuned on what changes I'm making! There is MUCH more to come in the next couple of days...I have exciting news (for me at least) that may entertain you!

4 Comments:

At 4/15/2006 9:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sage, Thrashers rock!

Mr. F, you can borrow my lube. I won't leave you hanging so the pins & needles don't poke too many holes in ya!

 
At 4/16/2006 10:16 AM , Blogger Ms. M said...

sorry guys, the post from anonymous is me. I just did it from my BlackBerry and guess I screwed it up!

 
At 4/16/2006 11:59 AM , Blogger Gidget Bones said...

Sorry, I had to tag ya! Please go to my new site for the info!
www.gidgetbones.com

happy easter!

 
At 4/16/2006 1:11 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

Gidg! Uh oh!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home