Ms. M:

Running With Scissors

January 18, 2006

Donna Reed Mom Training 101


I must be a shitty mom. My kid came home from school yesterday with an earache and a scratchy throat. Said he just didn't feel good. I, as usual, figured he was "crying wolf" just to be able to come home and sleep as is his usual M.O. To my utter amazement the kid got really sick as the day progressed. He ended up with a 101 degree temp and was up and down all night. I'm horrid. I don't even know when my kid is really sick. The kicker to really bring the point home is that he hasn't eaten in 24 hours or more. He's not hungry. That is NOT my kid. My son, 15 year old "Peabody" is an EATER and has been since day one of his life. Lack of hunger is a sure sign something stinks.

In my defense, Peabody has always faked illness to come home early from school or even to stay home the entire day. He'll nap, because he's also a SLEEPER, then just as all the kiddies are jumping off the school bus he miraculously recovers and wants to play outside. Now, I know he's 15 and doesn't actually "play" anymore, but his best friend just lives behind us and they both play guitar so they like to jam together after school. Of course, after he got home yesterday, Peabody asked me to make sure he was up in time to meet up with said BFF so he could go over there. That was another reason I thought he was faking, so I nixed it. Good thing I did. Peabody is STILL in bed over 24 hours later. I got him something to eat for lunch today and he didn't touch it. WHOA!

Still, I think I may be a shitty mother sometimes. I've been guilty of letting the kid pull the wool over my eyes a few times, not intentionally letting him, but legitimately being fooled. Idiot, I know! But, for the most part, the kid is usually honest with me. He's just a sleepaholic and will use any excuse to be able to sleep. I'm trying to work with him to help him become more responsible, but it ain't going so well. I lack something...not sure what...maybe I just wasn't born with that Donna Reed gene. I love the kid more than my life and would die or kill for him, but I'm just not sure what it is I'm missing to make me a great mom.

Anyway, I'm working from home, checking on him ever hour and enjoying the quiet solitude while I get some work done. It's amazing how much more work I get done at home. No co-workers to bother me with trivial questions or ask for my help on something on which I had no initial involvement. Just me and the sick kid, the dog, and my t.v. for background noise. Oh, and a headache. I have one. I hope I'm not getting fucking sick now! Not like I have anything major going on at work the next two days, I CAN work from home, but when you're sick you just want to sleep and vegetate so you can feel better. Working just prolongs my agony. I hate taking a sick day before the first month of the year isn't even over yet! Besides, even though I take a sick day doesn't mean I won't get people expecting me to get out of sick bed to do something for them. It's inevitable. Fuckwads.

The only bright spot to my day is that Pablo dropped in to have lunch with me. What a wonderful sweetie. Taking his lunch break to spend it with me and sick kid. I'm going to post on something that will probably freak ya'll out regarding Pablo, myself and Peabody. But I'm saving it. It needs some build up...a "crescendo" if you will. It's like an Oprah story. In fact, a couple of my friends have "threatened" to contact Oprah to put me on the show. That's all I'm saying for now. I'll give details later when more info comes to light.

TTFN!

7 Comments:

At 1/18/2006 4:18 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

You better start spilling your guts--at least on the phone or email!

I know what's going on, and I'm dying to find out the news!

TELL ME! TELL ME NOW!! ;-)

 
At 1/18/2006 4:27 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

KB! Dontcha go and ruin my post before I can post it! I promise, you'll know the answer to this malady before I post it. Just have to give it some time to work itself out first...Read your email...

 
At 1/18/2006 5:40 PM , Blogger Jerrster said...

well I'm curious george to hear the Oprah tale.

 
At 1/18/2006 5:47 PM , Blogger Jerrster said...

oh don't forget Donna Reed's son Jeff Stone (paul peterson) did become a drug addict...where was she...at the hair salon?

 
At 1/18/2006 5:56 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

Lord! Donna wasn't perfect? Perhaps I should have said June Cleaver...

My Oprah tale will have to wait! Got wait for more details to accumulate before I can tell the story. It's a doozy too.

 
At 1/18/2006 7:27 PM , Blogger Pisser said...

I can hardly stand the suspense-! Either that, or I have to pee ;)

I am in bewildered awe of all you parents who give a damn. I only had one...hell. Even with one (let alone FOUR) sick cat(s), I'm totally overwhelmed-! Plus it hurts SO much to see them suffer. I can only imagine how that must feel with a grown-assed HUMAN BEING. :o(

Don't feel bad. Here's another parenting manual you could maybe use ;)

 
At 1/18/2006 8:53 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

I hate to make ya'll wait, but I am halted by some "stuff" that has to come to fruition. Once that comes in, it will either make or break this Oprahesque story of mine. I'll keep ya'll posted when I can start the story!

Pisser, that book looks FANTASTIC...I'll take the martinis!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home