Ms. M:

Running With Scissors

March 27, 2006

Holy Crap! A New Opportunity Just Fell In My Lap!

I got offered a job today.

Two actually, but one was much more to my liking.

I was floored.

A woman I work with (and have complained about on this blog) is leaving my company to head up a division of a wireless management consulting company and she has asked me to come work with her as her Divison Operations Manager. She offered me a different position first, but then decided I might prefer the other one...it pays more too. She asked me what it would take to make me leave our company, so I told her what kind of pay (among other things). I couldn't believe it. She was COOL with all I said it would take.

This new job would be a huge step up for me and a huge pay jump.

Seems like a no brainer right?

Well, there are some things to think about.

Pro's where I work
  1. I work for a company that is about to make me a "work anywhere" employee. I won't have cube at work, I'll work from home everyday which means I can roll out of bed at 8:00 AM and I won't put any miles on my car or empty my wallet/max out my credit cards at the gas pump!
  2. I get 4 weeks of vacation where I work and unlimited personal days.
  3. I have GREAT benefits
  4. I've been there almost 7 years.
  5. Free cell phone service and discounted service/phones for my family.

Cons where I work

  1. There are 70K employees so job competition is STEEP
  2. I really don't have a career path out of the job I'm in at my company.
  3. I make "okay" money, but I should be getting paid a lot more for the bullshit I put up with and all the assistance I give above and beyond my job description.
  4. Those in my current position are always having to "prove our worth" to make sure we won't being targeted for layoff since the merger. Not a given to say the least.
  5. I travel for work a lot and I hate it. It wears me out!

Pros about the new offering

  1. Obviously, a LOT more money, almost a 20% pay increase.
  2. A job with some power to do good things for the industry
  3. A chance to do something NEW and be a part of a young, growing, successful company.
  4. Much better chances for advancement in a smaller company
  5. I won't be just a number amoung tens of thousands of employees.
  6. A much more worth while job title to add to my resume.
  7. Great benefits
  8. Get to work with all Wireless carriers which would add to my marketability in the industry

Cons about the new offering

  1. Subordinate to MSC everyday
  2. Drive in ATL traffic twice a day
  3. Start over as a new employee and earn my vacation from scratch
  4. Can't work from home.
  5. Don't have all the details yet, won't get them all until Tuesday afternoon.

Okay all. Help! Both jobs have pros and cons that kind of equal out. I'm torn by this.

Since she and I currently both work for the same company, MSC has sworn me to secrecy. Only a handful know she's leaving the company to run this divisional office, but they have no idea she's asked me to come with her.

MSC told me she chose to offer me this opportunity because the others on my team in my position, when asked if something can be done, will tell her that it cannot and end it there, whereas I tell her, "I'll make it happen, one way or another." It's true. I do make a lot of stuff happen just by sheer diligence and digging to find a way. It's my job. Pleasing my customers, giving them the tools they need to make their business grow, manage their wireless services and needs to save them money.

Guess all that working my ass off, going above and beyond, may be paying off.

So my friends, given the information above, what would you do? Any suggestions or advise to offer?

I should tell you that I'm a 35 year old, divorced, single mom. I get no child support, NEVER HAVE, and I'm struggling to make ends meet right now. That might help you to come up with some good advise. Oh, I want to buy a house soon too, I just need to pay down some credit cards first and build a down payment. I've been trying to do this for 3 years now and I feel like I'm getting no where!

Hope this info helps you help me! (Damn! I sound like crazy-assed Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire! Fucking C o $...)

13 Comments:

At 3/27/2006 11:21 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

Divine--you'll make the right decision--you just will.

I like the new digs--I'm hungry. Wonder why?

I miss you.

 
At 3/28/2006 12:50 AM , Blogger Ms. M said...

AWWWW! KB! I miss you too! I'm glad to see you're back in blogland! Been waiting for a post!

 
At 3/28/2006 6:31 AM , Blogger Ms. M said...

Mr. F, I was thinking it might be difficult to make a decision and get advice without the rest of the details. I'll be sure to post them as soon as I hear. This is one tough decision for me. It could effect the rest of my life. Hopefully in a good way, but what if it's bad? I'm in a quandry here!!!

 
At 3/28/2006 9:39 AM , Blogger Heather said...

Once you get all of the details it may make the decision easier for you. I don't envy you. There are so many good things about both jobs!

Good luck!

 
At 3/28/2006 10:59 AM , Blogger Maven said...

Good luck! I'm envious of how the opportunities just fell in your lap.

Good luck deciding:)

 
At 3/28/2006 12:50 PM , Blogger Webmiztris said...

as gay as it sounds? follow your heart!

 
At 3/28/2006 1:20 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

Heather: Yah, the details will make my decision. Truly the benefits will have to be comparible!

Maven: This kind of stuff has never happened to me before. Believe me, I feel lucky, but I know you will definitely find what you're looking for!!

webmiztris: So gay!! Kidding! Yah, I'll be using my head for sure too. My heart says go for it, but I have to make sure everything will be okay!

 
At 3/28/2006 1:23 PM , Blogger Queenmatrai said...

So this is what I think
Hear em out on tuesday and go through the details but I honestly think 7 years is way too long to be in one place...
Youve reached a comfort zone and u need to go out to find yourself again - ull see a new side of you and see yourself re-charged too
I quit my old company after 6 years and i was scared shitless when I did that...but now looking back, im glad i did (joined a smaller company too)...

noojes

 
At 3/28/2006 1:51 PM , Blogger mikster said...

Tough choice. Have you investigated the new company at all? How good is their financial sheet?

Hopefully you make the choice that works the best for you.

 
At 3/28/2006 4:44 PM , Blogger Ms. M said...

Noojes: You have guts girl! I guess going with my gut is good, but...

Mike: you're right too..I need to investigate a tad further and I'm waiting for a phone call from MSC to provide me with some details and info so I can do my due diligence and research the hell out of them! She is VERY business savvy and has 3 girls (2 in college) that she's raising alone so I know she wouldn't just take an opportunity like this if it wasn't worth her while and a safe bet.

 
At 3/28/2006 8:25 PM , Blogger Nick Zegarac said...

Sounds like you made the right choice.

 
At 3/28/2006 9:23 PM , Blogger Deb said...

Good luck with everything! Sounds like a great opportunity.

 
At 3/29/2006 12:10 AM , Blogger Ms. M said...

Nick: Haven't decided yet, but leaning toward the new job!

~Deb: Thanks! I'm hoping it's not too good to be true! DAMN! Do I sound like a fatalist???

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home